Tuesday 20 December 2011

More old tat


Thinking back through the old gear I had I remembered briefly owning a WEM pick-a-back. 15 watts of amp into a single 12" speaker in quite a large enclosure.
The amp was fixed to the cab by two long threaded rods that passed through the amp into the cab. I seem to remember that the cab could be used either way up. The WEM logo looked ok either way and there were threaded holes on two sides.


After I bought the Commodore semi acoustic guitar from Traies he later sold me a Triumph amplifier. These must be quite rare because I can't find a picture of one anywhere on the net. Once again it was a transistor amplifier which meant it was quite light, but once again it wouldn't sustain or distort- great if you were playing lounge music (as I was for a while) but useless for da blooz.
Further internet research has revealed it to be a Triumph Silicon 100 model. I still can't find a photo but the descrption of two bulbs lighting the front panel tallies with my memory.

I used a whole variety of speaker cabinets, mostly home made. My friend Pete Jones played bass and we played together for a few years. He bought a second hand 4x12 speaker cabinet that was absolutely massive- bigger than a marshall cab. It contained 4 Goodmans speakers and sounded great. He used a Vox T60 amp. (see the picture below)
By a process of trial and error we built a number of speaker cabinets using Fane speakers like these


I used a number of home-made and second-hand speaker cabinets in the late 60s/early 70s. Eventually the Triumph amplifier had to go and I bought a Hiwatt 50 Watt amplifier- what a beauty!

It was £85 or so when I bought it from Selmers in Charing Cross Road. I used it with a beaten up old 2x12 cabinet. You can see it in this photo of Pete, Trevor and myself.



These days Hiwatt amplifiers fetch mega-bucks, but alas, when I joined the folk group referred to in another post, I sold to it to my works social club as they needed an amplifier and speakers and a mike for their bingo nights.

How many times have I done that? Sold my kit and then had to go out and buy more within a few months? Too many.

No comments:

Post a Comment