Tuesday 6 December 2011

The Craic- Part Two


I think the sessions at the Duke of Clarence were held on a Wednesday night, and the pub was absolutely packed every week. As well as the nucleus of the "band", which usually comprised of George McColl on vocals, Rod Sherman on flute and vocals and a whole bunch of other musicians, some of whom I knew by name, others only by sight. On a good night there'd be fifteen or sixteen players in a circle, with a couple of tables for the beer glasses and the ashtrays (yes- remember when you could smoke in a pub?)in the middle. There was a primitive PA attached to the walls- a couple of small speakers usually used for playing background music, and George would have a mike nearby. Not that he needed it. He had a really strong clear tenor voice that could easily be heard over the loudest hubbub. I was in my early twenties. George would have been in his late 30s. He wore a denim suit with wide lapels and platform boots (remember them?)and a huge ginger afro. You wouldn't forget George if you'd seen him. He owned a T-shirt printing business based in a dingy cellar in Ladbroke Grove. He produced the limited edition T-shirts for Paul Mccartney's LP release "Red Rose Speedway". Later on he would design and print a very limited edition of the band's own T-shirt- once we'd organised ourselves enough to need a name.
The Duke of Clarence became my local for a while. They had music on other nights. I recall an experimental jazz band had a residency on one night. They had a female singer who's improvised vocal utterances sounded like they'd been produced with the help of sugar tongs to a particularly sensitive part of her anatomy. It was OK but it'll never replace music.
Another night of the week saw a folk band perform. They reminded me of the Incredible String Band at times, but then they played traditional Irish instruments like the uillean pipes. I liked them, but I can't remember their name.
The other residency belonged to a duo by the name of "Starry Eyed and Laughing". I saw their first few shows and to be honest was surprised when they got a recording contract with CBS and moved on to greater things. You can read their story here:
http://www.starryeyedandlaughing.com/Starry_History.htm

I settled in with the band, playing acoustic guitar. Occasionally we'd have a mandolin player sit in with us and I was intrigued by the instrument. He kindly let me have a play and showed me two chords- D and G, and once I'd mastered them I could play the intro to a song. This is it:


(sorry about the advert at the beginning)

I was working at Cadby Hall next to Olympia at the time and just across the road in North End Road there was a second hand record and musical instrument shop. One day I noticed a mandolin in the window so I dug deep and bought it. (It was only £15 but that was about as much as I took home from my job, and I had my board, food and beer to pay for)
I used to sit next to my friend and watch his fingers as he played, trying to memorise the tune, then try to replicate the tune when I got home that night. I got it wrong more than right, but then the day came when I wanted to show off my new prowess on mandolin.
I don't know how many there were that night. I know we had two fiddles, probably two concertinas, two guitars, a flute and probably a tenor banjo. (I can't remember for certain)What I do remember is producing the mandolin and anouncing that I'd join in when they played the one tune I thought I knew.
Well, the tune came to be played and off I went. I hadn't realised how fast they played it. As they got to the end of the second line, I was just reaching the end of the first.....
By missing chunks of the tune out I managed to get to the end at the same time as the band and after that baptism of fire, I had enough confidence to attempt a few more tunes and to build up my repertoire.
This clip probably best illustrates that first performance of mine:
From Woody Allen's film "Take the Money and Run"



That first mandolin succumbed and I bought a replacement from Traies Music Shop in Portobello Road. He kindly fitted a pickup in the soundhole and I used that instument for years afterwards. It was a cheap Eastern European model would a lousy action, but flat back mandolins were rare back then. I did see a Gibson mandolin in a small music/antique shop off Portobello Road, but the price was prohibitive even then. I'd have been too scared to take it to the local for fear of damaging it. What's the point of having an instrument that's too valuable to play?

I can still remember that first mandolin tune, but I never knew its name- until a day or so ago. It's called Spanish Cloak. and here's a charming version by a Japanese band that I found on the internet. Fancy that- a band of Japanese musicians playing traditional Irish music!

No comments:

Post a Comment