Thursday 5 June 2014

My Cornish Roots

I may have posted that I grew up in Cornwall and although I've not lived there for half a century I'm still very much a Cornishman.
My interest was rekindled when I started researching my family history and I've been writing songs on and off for most of my life. My early musical influences (after The Beatles) was Bob Dylan and the folk boom of the 60s. My first public performances were in folk music clubs and although I've played many different music genres down the years, I'm still a folkie at heart.
Last year I recorded an album called "Hard Times" and I've had reviews published in Folk Music magazines. I've been playing house concerts and listening venues as well. It seemed to me that the time was right to record an album of songs inspired by the land where I was born, so I recently began recording a new album.
Last year I played all the instruments on Hard Times and asked my son Chris to play cajon for me.  This time I've enlisted some help from the start.  The basic tracks were recorded with Rai Clews playing cajon, and Vince Gorman on cittern. Stevie Poole has also played accordion on some tracks. These musicians have also played in the Dave Clemo Band as my son Chris is taking some time away from music.

We're recording ten tracks, seven original songs, two traditional covers and an instrumental.  I've also been experimenting with video and here's Vince, Stevie and me playing a track from the forthcoming album at a recent house concert.
http://youtu.be/x54QPznmazw

This song, also from the new album was recorded and videod in our studio and I edited both videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzzyXs2kDPo

So the new album is well under way, and I'm editing video as well. Whodathoughtit eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment