Tuesday 21 February 2012

Left Hand Drive- part one


I moved from London to Northampton in 1974. My firm was relocating and the choice of moving out of a grotty bedsit with a leaking roof and no heating into a brand new three bedroom house with central heating was too good to turn down.

I said my goodbyes to Captain Swing and to my friends Pete and Trevor who I had been working with since about 1971. As well as my acoustic guitar and mandolin, I'd bought a 1964 Telecaster and an H & H combo. Once I'd settled into our new home, I'd look araound for a new band to join or form.

This is me outside the bedsit in Percy Road, Shepherds Bush with my mandolin. Apparently it was all the rage to dress from head to foot in denim and to wear platform soled boots......


This is me with my Telecaster and a Strat. I've no idea why I had that. I'm sure it wasn't mine!

Anyway we settled into our new home and jobs. I hated mine. I wasn't too enamoured of having to commute back to London each day for the first couple of months. Eventually the commuting stopped and as the nights grew lighter, it was time to search for a band or musicians. I answered an ad in the local paper and met with a guitarist called Jack. We hit it off, dumped the others and set about forming our own band. What to call it?
Jack was left-handed. Our first drummer was Robin Waugh. He was left handed. He introduced us to Sean Farmer and the band was born.

The name of the band? It was a no-brainer.
Left Hand Drive.

We quickly put a set together- mostly original songs with me singing, and set out to change the world.


From left to right-
Jack Swann, Sean Farmer, Robin Waugh, Dave Clemo

No comments:

Post a Comment